What is psoriasis of the scalp?
Psoriasis is a kind of skin disorder where your skin cells on the scalp start to grow very quickly due to something wrong with the immune system. The scalp doesn’t shed excess skin cells which lead to the formation of thick patches on your scalp known as plaque. The area around become red and itchy. In this article, you will know the effective treatments and remedies for psoriasis of the scalp.
Scalp psoriasis is usually mild that lasts for a short period of time which heals on its own. But sometimes it is severe and last for a long time. Severe scalp psoriasis can be annoying as you suffer from serious dandruff and intense itching, causing hindrance in your daily activities like working in the office or your sleep. Itching can also cause hair loss. They can be mild covering a small area or a case of severe scalp psoriasis that covers the entire area extending to your forehead, nose, back of the ears.
What causes a psoriasis flare up?
There can be many reasons that cause psoriasis flare like,
- Cold air
What Are Symptoms of Scalp Psoriasis?
The symptoms may vary from person to person. But the most common symptom of the psoriasis of the scalp is itching. In mild cases, itching is unnoticeable whereas in severe cases itching can be intense. Continuously scratching the itch in your scalp can cause hair loss and affect your sleep. Other symptoms of scalp psoriasis include:
- Reddish, scaly patches on the scalp
- Dry scalp
- Dandruff-like flakes
- Burning or soreness
- Hair loss
How to get rid of psoriasis on your scalp?
There are 3 ways of treating psoriasis of the scalp. To treat psoriasis scalp, you can do the following:
- Over the counter psoriasis treatment for scalp: If you’re suffering from intense itching that is causing, irritation, bleeding or hair fall then you can opt for shampoos containing coal tar. Coal tar shampoos can reduce itching and inflammation. Coal tar treatment is one of the oldest treatment of psoriasis. Salicylic acid, found in medicated shampoos, is also helpful when it comes to treating psoriasis of the scalp. It may reduce dead skin cells and scaling. You can find out the popular brands that contain these ingredients in the chemist shop. Over the counter, treatment is most effective on mild scalp psoriasis.
- Prescription psoriasis treatment: If you are suffering from moderate to severe psoriasis, over the counter treatment may not be effective. Then you need to seek advice from a dermatologist for prescription medications. The prescription treatment of psoriasis can include coal tar and salicylic acid as well as other medications like anthralin, calcitriol, calcipotriol, tazarotene. If your system is resistant to all these treatments of psoriasis, then the doctor may prescribe oral medications or drugs. But these oral drugs can have serious side effects so you may need a close attention from your doctor.
- Home remedies for psoriasis of the scalp: There is no cure but you can control and reduce psoriasis flare-ups, outbreak, and symptoms. Using natural therapies is a good treatment for psoriasis
Home remedies for psoriasis of the scalp
Here are some psoriasis flare up home remedies:
- Adding some oil to your diet: Adding a little oil into your diet especially the fish oil can be helpful. They will help to keep away flakes.
- Oiling: Put olive, coconut oil on your scalp. Wrap a warm and moist towel around your head and keep for 20-30 minutes. Let the oil stay on your scalp overnight. You can use a shower cap to cover your head to avoid pillows getting stained.
- Aloe vera for psoriasis treatment: Aloe vera is being used to treat hair fall issues for centuries. It has a calming effect and is an excellent natural moisturizer and skin conditioner. It can reduce flaky, itchy scalp, reduce inflammation and dandruff.
Do you know any more remedies psoriasis of the scalp? Let’s discuss it in the comment section below!