Sinus infection, also known as Sinusitis, is a common nasal problem that has affected about 37 million Americans. Sinusitis can be acute or chronic. Acute sinusitis lasts for a short period of time and occurs due to cold and allergies. Chronic sinusitis lasts for a couple of weeks or more.
Read: Acute Sinusitis – Causes, Symptoms, And Treatment
Why do we get sinus infections?
Sinusitis is a condition where the cavities around the nasal passages become inflamed. It occurs when the mucous membranes in your nose get irritated by a cold, allergy, pollutants or exposure to dry or cold air. This irritation causes membranes to become inflamed and stimulate mucous glands to secrete more mucous than the usual. Thus, mucus gets trapped in your sinuses and its accumulation can easily become infected.
Image Courtesy of marcolm at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Read: Natural Hair Straightening With Hot Oil Therapy!
How to treat a sinus infection without antibiotics?
Most individuals suffering from sinus infection are willing to try anything that can help them recover and the majority go for antibiotics, even though it has been proven that antibiotics do nothing to cure sinus infections. Also, antibiotics can have side-effects like an imbalance in your body which can even worsen the condition.
So is there’s any way of treating a sinus infection without antibiotics? Fortunately, there is! Coconut oil is the best natural cure for sinus infection.
Also, read Incredible Health benefits of Coconut Oil!
Why should you try coconut oil for sinus problems?
There are many reasons why you should use coconut oil for sinus problems. Studies claim that coconut oil is no less than a ‘miracle’ food. It is a combination of fatty acids and various medicinal properties like antimicrobial, antifungal, antibacterial, and antioxidant. Organic virgin coconut oil is the type of coconut oil you should use for this treatment.
How to use coconut oil?
You can use coconut oil for sinus problems in a variety of ways:
- Eat coconut oil: You can add consume it in your tea or coffee. Coconut oil contains lauric acid and monolaurin, which kills harmful bacteria, fungi, and viruses. Thus, eliminating the cause of sinus infection.
- Coconut oil sinus rinse: To use coconut oil as a nasal rinse, add coconut oil to purified water and baking soda or salt. Use this mixture as nasal rinse using a dropper.
- Oil Pulling: Oil pulling with coconut oil is one of the best ways to treat sinus problems. Oil pulling has to be done on an empty stomach. Take one tablespoon of coconut oil in your mouth first thing in the morning. Swish the oil all around your mouth, through your gums for 20 minutes. Be careful about not swallowing the mixture as this process is pulling the bacteria and toxins which lay in the mouth, gums, and lymph. The swishing movement creates a lymphatic circulation around the sinuses which cleans the passage and helps to prevent the bacteria from building up in future.
Read 6 Dental Health Facts You Know!
To battle against fungus and bacteria, it is important to strengthen your immune system which will make it difficult for the bacteria to flourish.
Top ways to avoid getting sinus infection
- Avoid sugar and grains: In order to avoid fungus and keep it in control, it is advised to avoid sugar and grains as fungus feed on them.
- Consume fish or cod liver oil every day: Both fish and cod liver oil are rich in omega-3 fats, DHA and EPA which is essential for improving the immune system.
- Have proper sleep: Lack of sleep affects the immune system. When you get good sleep, you become less prone to catching a cold and flu. Being a night owl may hamper immune system and make you vulnerable.
- Physical exercise
What do you think about this article? Did you find this information helpful? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below.