Have you ever experienced that embarrassing moment when you’re in a party, all dressed up and get caught scratching your head vigorously followed by a shower of white flakes onto your dress? Itchy scalp is not only an embarrassing problem but vigorously scratching an itch can possibly lead to hair fall. Dandruff is one of the most common cause of itchy scalp or irritation. It is also known as seborrheic dermatitis which is a common scalp disorder and almost half of the world’s population is affected by this medical problem.
What Causes Dandruff?
Dandruff can have many possible causes:
- Shampooing your hair too much can make your scalp dry. Dry skin is the main cause of dandruff.
- Dry or excessive oily scalp can cause skin cells to build up and fall off forming dandruff flakes.
- If you’re not washing your hair often, the oils and skin cells can cause dandruff
- Malassezia is a type of fungus that lives on the scalp and causes irritation. It promotes dry skin cell production.
- Sensitivity to certain hair products like, hair color, dyes, and hairspray can cause dry itchy scalp.
- Nutrition deficiency.
It is very important to follow a healthy hair routine to treat dandruff and avoid other scalp conditions like dermatitis and eczema. Although you cannot completely expatriate it from our lives, you can try these 6 simple home remedies for dandruff by using simple stuff that can be easily found at home.
1. Baking Soda:
Baking soda is a thing that can be easily found in your kitchen cabinets. Baking soda is known to remove dead skin and excess oil on your scalp reducing the risk of dandruff.
- Wet your hair and apply baking soda on your scalp
- Massage your hair for few minutes
- Rinse your hair with plain water
You can also add baking soda to your shampoo and wash your hair.
Yogurt is rich in protein, vitamin b5 and has acidic properties. The protein content in yogurt moisturizes and protects the hair strength. The rich creamy texture of yogurt provides relief from irritation and itchy scalp, thus reducing dry skin cell production.
Yogurt and Egg Mask
- Combine an egg with one cup of curd to make a thick mask
- Apply the mixture on your scalp and leave for 30 minutes
- Rinse off with plain water or a light shampoo
Yogurt and Black Pepper Mask
- Mix a cup of curd with few teaspoons for black pepper powder
- Apply the mixture on the affected area of your scalp
- Allow the mixture to stay for an hour
- Rinse off with a light shampoo
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar works wonders for reducing dandruff from your scalp. It helps to restore the pH balance levels of the scalp. It’s acidic property reduces the growth of dandruff-causing bacteria and fungus thus reducing flaking.
- Mix equal amounts of apple cider vinegar and water in a spray bottle
- Spray it on your scalp
- Wrap a towel over your head and let is stay for about an hour
- Wash is off with a mild shampoo
- Do it twice a week to see good results
4. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is said to have antifungal and antibacterial properties which are essential to fight dandruff. Just add a few drops of tea tree oil into your shampoo and wash your hair normally. You can also,
- Add few drops of tea tree oil with coconut oil or olive oil
- Apply it on your hair and let it stay overnight
- Wash it with mild shampoo
5. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has deep conditioning and antifungal properties to treat dandruff. It is the most common and reliable component when it comes to haircare.
- Mix some amount of coconut oil with equal amount of lemon juice
- Apply on your scalp and massage for few minutes
- Let it stay for about 30 minutes and wash
- Repeat at least twice a week
6. Olive oil
You can get rid of scalp dryness by using olive oil.
- Massage your scalp with warm olive oil (extra virgin)
- Wrap your hair in a slight warm towel and let it stay for at least 40 minutes
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo
- Repeat at least twice a week