Simplest foods are the best food for your health, and nuts certainly fall in that category. Nuts benefit your health with a good source of dietary fiber and promote cardiovascular health. Studies suggest that people who eat nuts have a lower risk of weight gain, and type 2 diabetes. Among all nuts, walnut is the top nut as it has been found to have more and better quality antioxidants than the other nuts. Here are the types and top 7 health benefits of walnuts.
Image courtesy of Suat Eman at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Types Of Walnuts:
There are 30 different species of walnuts. The three most common species grown for their commercial purpose are the English or Persian walnut (Juglans regia), the Black walnut (Juglans nigra), and the White or butternut walnut (Juglans cinerea). Other species include California black walnut (which is used as a root stock for commercial breeding of J. regia), and the Arizona walnut.
Health Benefits Of Walnuts:
1. Reduces the risk of cancer – Walnuts are a rich source of phytochemical substances which improves antioxidant activity in the body. A study at the Marshall University School of Medicine in West Virginia found that people who ate walnuts had significantly lower risk of breast cancer.
2. Minerals and vitamins – Walnuts contain a good amount of vitamin b6 (o.2mg per ounce). It also a rich source of vitamin E, manganese, and minerals like magnesium, phosphorous and iron.
3. Helps to reduce stress – Having a good diet helps our body to respond better to stress. A diet rich in walnut has been found to lower the blood pressure responses to stress.
4. Omega-3 fatty acids – Walnuts are packed with omega-3 fatty acids which promote appetite control and burn the body fat. They also help lower blood pressure, reduce stroke risk, breast, colon and prostate cancers.
Read more – 5 Foods That Burn Belly Fat
5. Good for the brain – Depression is often linked with the low omega-3s intake. When your diet is deficient in omega-3s, the production of melatonin – the sleep hormone, from the pineal gland in the brain is altered which leads to sleep troubles. Irregular sleep patterns lead to overeating, depression and weight gain.
6. Good in pregnancy – Walnuts are believed to be helpful in pregnancy, as it helps to prevent nausea and promotes brain development of the child.
7. Good for hair – Many shampoos with walnut oil are doing the rounds lately. This is because walnuts contain vitamin b7 that helps to strengthen hair, reduce hair fall and improve hair growth.
Read more – Health Benefits of Almonds