Holidays are around the corner and it’s that time of the year when family and friends gather together over food, including the kids. Many kids are fussy eaters and are pretty demanding when it comes to snacking. This spinach and cheese bombs recipe is a great option for snacking, especially for kids, as it is deliciously healthy with the goodness of spinach (health benefits of spinach) and mozzarella cheese. Enjoy these holidays with spinach and cheese bombs that are super easy to prepare and do not take more than 20 minutes.
Spinach and cheese bombs
To make the bombs:
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tbsp castor sugar
- 1 /4 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 3/4th cup buttermilk or sour yogurt
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
To make the stuffing:
- 150g mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup fresh spinach – finely chopped
To garnish on top:
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 cloves garlic – minced
- Dried oregano & chili flakes – to sprinkle
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C).
- Take a large bowl and add flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, and garlic powder
- Add butter cubes and crush them well using a fork until they are small enough to mix
- Add buttermilk or sour yogurt and knead the mixture to make a dough
- Refrigerate for 10 minutes
- Cut the mozzarella cheese into cubes
- Dust the dough surface with flour and roll the dough into 12×15 inch rectangular shape.
- Cut 18 – 20 pieces
- Place some chopped spinach and one mozzarella cube in the center of each piece and make small balls.
- Make sure close the edges of the balls tightly
- Take an oven tray. Put over a baking sheet or butter paper and place all the balls
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown
- Meanwhile, prepare the garnish mixture
- Heat a small pan with 2bs butter, add garlic, oregano and chili flakes
- Brush this mixture on the top of baked spinach and cheese bombs
- Serve hot with salsa sauce
(as per damndelicious.net)
Amount Per 1 Spinach cheese bomb – Calories 146.0, Total Fat 8.8g14%, Saturated Fat 4.0g20%, Trans Fat 0.2g, Cholesterol 14.6mg5%, Sodium 391.5mg16%, Total Carbohydrate 12.8g4%, Dietary Fiber 0.3g1%, Sugars 0.1g, Protein 4.1g8%.